Friday 20 July 2012

Another change

I officially have one day of work left. It is so bizarre, and I'm actually feeling rather sad about it. Yes, I'm really looking forward to having time to be at home with David and the baby, but I also really enjoy my job and the people I work with. I've worked at the same company since I arrived in the UK in 2009 -- it's the longest I've ever stayed with the same employer and it's been a great place to work.

I haven't written much about my job, because I've never felt it prudent to link work and social media. In basics, however, I am a risk analyst who is focused primarily on fraud. I work for a company that facilitates payment processing, which is to say that we, among others, are what allow you to use a card to make purchases either in a shop or online. The position I've held for the past two years has been perfect for me, as I get to do a lot of research and analysis (thank you, post-secondary education) with the benefit of knowing that the work I do each day has a positive impact for a variety of people (something that I felt was lacking in my own academic pursuits). The team I work with is really great and I've even made a few friends (people I'm happy to see outside of working hours!). My job has actual opportunities for career advancement, which is the first time in my life that I've held a position that didn't require a lot of creativity in order to spin it into something better.

So, leaving to go on maternity leave feels weird. It's not the same as just quitting my job, and I've only ever quit jobs because I've moved to a new city. I'm signed off work until July 29th, 2013, although I can go back earlier if I need to. I know it won't take me long to adjust to being at home, but it is still a strange thing to get my head around. I'm certainly not worried about being bored, as I'm sure the baby will ensure that I am constantly occupied, but it is really weird to think that I won't have the same rigid schedule that I've held for the past few years. It is another step into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment